5/28/11

Mothering

I had started to write a post about motherhood and homemaking.  I have been getting some good inspiration about these two roles in my life.  Then I read this: The Perfect Mom and decided she wrote it way better then I ever could.

So instead I'm just putting up some quotes from the article written by Allyson Reynolds of A Day In The Life

             "My personal evolution as a mother has been shaped by more than a few surprises, challenges, disappointments and frustrations.  But the “perfect” me of days gone by could never have anticipated the joys and triumphs that have come precisely because of the surprises, challenges, disappointments and frustrations.  I have learned over the years that perfectionism is not only unrealistic when mothering young children, it’s downright silly.
As a recovering perfectionist, let me share with you four suggestions for putting out the perfectionist in you.

1.  Strive for excellence, not perfection. 
2.  Practice contentment and gratitude.
3.  Be your own kind of mother.
4.  Remember that mothering is not about you.
 
           "The definition of mothering is to look after, care for, protect, nurse, and tend.  There is nothing in that definition about alphabetically organized spice racks, Disney cruises, multiple degrees or granite counter tops.  Have you ever noticed that children don’t care if your middle is mushy or there are cobwebs in the corner?  Their needs are very basic and you are at the top of their list.

             For me, my quest for perfection is not so much about how my home looks as how it feels. It’s not so much about how I look but about how my kids feel."

            The full article is wonderful and I hope you will go over to Power Of Moms to read it. They have lots of great articles there and the whole idea behind this blog is "A Gathering Place for Deliberate Mothers."  I love the concept of deliberate mothering and homemaking.  I am working on changing my perspective of these roles.

No comments: