6/19/11

Summer Routine

My friend over at Happy Meets Crazy, wrote about her summer routine and asked what everyone else does.  I wrote a long comment for her, but then decided it would be better here.  So here is my comment and what we are doing for our summer schedule.


I am not one for schedules and they usually fail me (or I fail them) I think because I make them too complicated, but this summer has been different for us.  I knew with a new baby coming (in about three weeks now) I needed to get my kids to help out more and take more responsibility.  I made a morning checklist for them to do on their own.  This has been great for reminding them to take their meds and for teeth brushing.  They can usually get it all done by themselves (my five year old needs help) and then they put an x for each square. 


Then I created a daily checklist.  This one hangs on the fridge and I mark it off with my initials.  So when they get the morning list done, they get one initial.  They have seven jobs on their list, including reading time, practice times tables, cleaning up own dishes each meal, ect.  My favorite one has been pick up 10 things, and they can do this one more then once.  It has been so helpful at getting things put away around the house, without me always picking up after them. 


On Sat. night we go count the initials on the chart.  For every 15, they earn a dollar and if they have more then the whole 15, the extras carry over to the next week.  The first week they earned 2 bucks, and this past week they each earned 3. :)  They are very happy to be getting money and then we remind them to pay tithing the next day.  

It has worked really well for us so far.  Except my five year old is already done with it. :)  Oh well, I told her its not an optional thing.  Maybe I'll have to start taking things away from her.  Anyway, sorry this is so long, but I wanted to share since it has been working so good for us.


That was the whole comment, so you see why it is better here. :)  And now I can add even more!


The other part of our summer routine, is I assigned each day an activity.  Monday is Library, Tuesday is free movie, ect.  We had talked about doing some cooking classes, but that hasn't worked out yet.  I want to get them helping make more of the food so after the baby gets here, they can make more things to eat then cold cereal. :)  The daily schedule is really flexible for us.  We plan the day as it goes, and they can get their checklist done when they want.  Unless they ask me for something, then I usually ask them to go do something on the list. 


This system has be beneficial in so many ways.  It is simple enough for me to stick with.  It is getting them to take care of themselves more.  They are able to earn money, and also pay tithing.  And we are working as a team to keep the house cleaned up.  I'm glad I found a way that works for me.

No comments: